QUESTION: Why are Compressed Natural Gas Prices SO high?
ANSWER: The utility companies claim:
- elongated cold weather spell brought with the rain
- CNG reserves low due to national temperature spikes
- Short commodity purchasing period
QUESTION: What can consumers do to decrease their bills?
ANSWER: Consumers can:
- Turn down the thermostat
- Put on a sweater
- Fill any leaks that allow cold air to come inside
QUESTION: Are there programs available to help those consumers having difficulty paying their Gas bills?
- ANSWER:Access SDG&E programs that provide percentage discount to those eligible like CARE (California Alternate Rates for Energy)
- Those eligible must already participate in certain public programs listed on SDG&E’s website OR
- Qualify by meeting income guidelines (Effective June 1, 2022 to May 31, 2023) based on household size and total current income
QUESTION: How can consumers be better informed?
ANSWER: • Read your bills and take note of consumer charges for ‘Public Purpose Programs’
- Take note of rate increase insert requests in your bill by the utility to the California Public Utility Commission (CPUC)
- Sign up for Public Watchdogs automated notifications that can:
◦ alert you to the opportunity to sign a petition
◦ send an email direct to your elected officials
◦ voice your protest directly to the CPUC the Commissioners.