SUBJECT LINE: Revoke California permits allowing the unsafe burial of nuclear waste.
To The Governor of California:
We, the undersigned, respectfully request that you revoke any and all permits allowing the burial of deadly nuclear waste at San Onofre State Beach by ordering the the Coastal Commission and State Lands Commission to stop the ongoing burial of nuclear waste on the beach at San Onofre State Beach Park.
Now is the time and opportunity to do the right thing. Each of the canisters at San Onofre State Beach contain radioactive waste lethal to human life for at leaste 250,000 years. The current canisters are only guaranteed to last 25 years.
We urge you to honor your father’s legacy and your own passion for ensuring a safe clean environment for future generations of Californians by delaying the burial of nuclear waste until the following corrective actions can be implemented:
- Safer Containers; upgrade current storage cans from 5/8” thick to thick-walled cans like those that survived Fukushima
- Real-time underground monitoring system for detecting radiation releases
- Nuclear waste canisters that can be retrieved and inspected for damages
- Moving the canisters from the current tsunami inundation zone to higher ground.
- Independent above ground radiation monitoring
- Emergency Planning and response capability restored
- Liability insurance against nuclear disasters restored