Help Save San Onofre – February 3, 1:00 PM to 3PM
In a matter of weeks, Southern California Edison could start burying deadly radioactive waste on the beach at San Onofre State Beach Park. Join the speakers from Public Watchdogs to explore the problem and get information on how to prevent it at 1:00PM, Saturday, February 3 at the Center for Spiritual Living, 1201 Puerta Del Sol, San Clemente, CA 92673
This event will begin with a brief welcoming and a Sound Healing with Tibetan Singing Bowls by Arjan.
If Southern California Edison gets its way, it will bury more than three million pounds of deadly radioactive waste 108 feet from the beach at San Onofre in thin-walled nuclear waste trash cans.
The radiation inside the steel cans is deadly to all life for 250,000 years, but the cans are only guaranteed to last 25-years.
Join us, and get the facts about the San Onofre nuclear waste threat from non-partisan public advocates at Public Watchdogs. You’ll learn what could happen, why a disaster is likely and why local governments within the 50-mile radiation plume radius have no real plan for responding to a radiation disaster.
WHO: Public Advocates and Scientists
WHAT: Construction of the world’s largest
beachfront nuclear waste dump at San
Onofre State Beach Park.
WHEN: 1:00PM February 3, 2018
WHERE: Center for Spiritual Living,
1201 Puerta Del Sol
San Clemente, CA 92673
Facebook event page https://www.facebook.com/events/1572523939531879/
Dear Friend of Public Watchdogs,
George Orwell said, “In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
Our mission is to tell the truth about San Onofre in this time of universal deceit. Please watch our new video about the San Onofre Community Engagement Panel here.
The plan is insane. In early 2018, Southern California Edison (Edison) will bury 3.6 million pounds of lethal high-level radioactive waste 108 feet from the water at our State Beach Park. The plutonium in Edison’s thin-walled steel canisters will be deadly for 250,000 years, but the canisters themselves are guaranteed to last only 25 years.
Public Watchdogs is leading a massive effort to mobilize awareness and encourage action
Because of your support, this message has reached thousands of people. We have successfully investigated, exposed, and publicized Edison’s fast-moving plan to turn our public beach into the largest privately-owned nuclear waste dump in the U.S.A., and in November of 2017 we sued the Department of Defense, the U.S. Navy, SDG&D and Southern California Edison to revoke the permit allowing the burial of nuclear waste on the beach.
Your support has allowed us to raise public awareness with …
- Aggressive public speaking: We are educating the public whenever, and wherever we can – through, fraternal organizations, political groups, churches, and libraries on the extreme dangers posed of radioactive nuclear waste.
- We stand ready to speak out anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Our road show and presentation on SONGS is delivered by three speakers and is hailed by critics as a “Weapon of Mass Instruction.” To arrange a presentation for your group or organization, call me personally on my cell phone at (858) 752-4600.
- Direct testimony at city, county, regional, state and federal meetings, including SANDAG, the Orange County and San Diego County Board of Supervisors, the Department of Energy, the State Lands Commission and the Public Utilities Commission.
- Press conferences, media events, including scores of television and radio interviews, plus 45 prayer and awareness vigils
- Public information booths at community events, plus, our continually updated web site.
Independent and mainstream media coverage.
As you’ll see on Public Watchdogs’ YouTube Channel, we have captured the mainstream (and not-so-mainstream) media’s attention with riveting, common sense news reports and press releases exposing multiple levels of corporate corruption and government malfeasance. But you have helped fund so much more than widespread media attention, you’ve also funded intensive independent research to bring the truth directly to the public.
Just published: A devastating report on our government’s failure to protect you …
On May 17th Public Watchdogs published a powerful whitepaper titled Radiological Regulatory Failure. This carefully documented 30-page exposé took more than 18 months of probing research and is supported by 450 pages of evidence. It shows how Edison and our local elected officials have left us vulnerable to a nuclear disaster, and how Edison conspired with our do-nothing regulators to eliminate virtually all emergency response.
Media: Radiological Regulatory Failure.
Here’s what this troubling report uncovers: An accident at San Onofre could be 40 times worse than Chernobyl. What’s more …
- The 3.6 million lbs. of waste has the radiation equivalent of 700 nuclear warheads
- SONGS is now reclassified as a “Medical Research Facility”
- FEMA will not respond in the event of an offsite nuclear radiation release
- Budget for a radiation response from CA Office of Emergency Services is gone
- It is the largest privately-owned high-level nuclear waste dump in the USA
- Only three people will be on staff to monitor the dump
- Edison is no longer required to plan — or respond to — a terrorist attack!
Our geological analysis shows a nuke accident is unavoidable at SONGS
On February 16th we published a geological report that sent a panic through Edison’s executive suite. Public Watchdogs’ Board Member and Geologist, Robert Pope, evaluated earthquake and tsunami safety at San Onofre an determined that a nuclear accident is “unavoidable.”
We are the only group to publish an independent geological report on SONGS
|Get the video|
This independent study has conclusions that directly contradict an $11 million ratepayer-funded Edison study ordered by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). This Edison study actually claims that SONGS, which is located on the USA’s most seismically active fault system is somehow safe from an earthquake!
We titled the study Earthquake Bay because maps pre-dating the Spanish-American War described the region where SONGS is located as Bahia De Los Tremblores, or “Bay of Earthquakes,” due to its unusually aggressive seismic activity … activity that persists to this day. Some of the highlights of this scholarly analysis show that …
- SONGS fault lines go miles through the earth’s crust to the semi-molten “Moho”
- The fault is overdue for a quake that could crush those steel canisters like soda cans
- Researchers have ignored critical warning signs of an earthquake disaster in favor of ‘preferred conclusions’ that may have been influenced by Edison.
- The fault can produce a magnitude 8 quake – six times stronger than what SONGS is
designed to withstand.
Working with whistleblowers to reveal dangerous law and safety violations
Your generous help allowed us to explain the engineering failure at SONGS in layperson terms. The whistleblowing engineer at SONGS came to us with a voluminous technical report on the reason why the nuclear steam generators failed. We helped this brave engineer break down the findings into a plain-English report that anyone can understand.
- Edison is hiding its daily operating logs to conceal the fact that it ran its nuclear steam generators too hot, too hard, and too fast.
- Edison intentionally redlined its generators by exceeding the design specifications and defying the specific directions in the operating manual.
- The steam tubes were banging violently together in what another Edison engineer called a “water hammer.”
Ultimately the “Replacement Steam Generators” at San Onofre destroyed themselves because Edison removed vital safety equipment from the generators that would keep the pipes from banging together. They removed that equipment to make more money … and they did it by lying to the regulators at the NRC and by risking the lives of 8.5 million people.
In other parts of the world, those who endanger the lives of millions out of greed and a lust for profits would be publicly humiliated, put on trial, and executed … if they didn’t commit suicide first. But in the USA, they get a promotion and a bonus. What’s more, we still don’t know their names because the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is keeping the names of the guilty under lock and key.
Got “Nuke-Hugging” Surfriders to engage on San Onofre
In 2016 we received complaints that the powerful Surfrider Foundation was endorsing the nuclear waste dump at SONGS amid persistent rumors that it had taken millions of dollars in utility money. To drive home our disgust, we ran a full page ad of surfers in HazMat gear with a link to our web site in Surfrider’s hometown newspaper, the San Clemente Times (see the ads here).
We then published sensitive Surfrider financial documents showing that the organization had raised $62 million in the last ten years for things like cigarette butt cleanups on local beaches, while remaining absolutely silent about the deadly poisonous radioactive waste dump being built just four miles from Surfrider’s corporate headquarters.
Within a few days Surfriders took corrective action. First, they published a new financial transparency page (it doesn’t show you where the money is coming from, but it’s a start). And now, for the first time ever, they are supporting the removal of the waste. It is a huge victory for the good guys … and the surfers.
Giving corrupt government bureaucrats more time with their families
Public Watchdogs also played a critical role in forcing the early retirement of the judge who brokered the unlawful San Onofre bailout deal and the president of the California Public Utilities Commission. Both of them sought early retirement after we published portions of the 16-page criminal affidavit from the Justice Department. Get the criminal affidavit here.
What they are doing is madness. We still have time to stop them. With your continued help we will prevail, but to do it this mission must be sustained, and your contributions are gratefully received Thank you for supporting our hard work that it will take to continue bringing the truth to light. The Public has a right to know.
We are truly grateful for your donations, and remain,
|Very Truly Yours,|
Executive Director, Public Watchdogs